Tuesday 7 June 2016

Creative Expressions Tuesday

Three Bookmarks .

I don't know if you know that you can get a set of six greyboard bookmarks from Creative Expressions. I thought I would have a go at decorating one -- in fact I ended up making three and it was fun . Because they are quite small I found that I could play with designs and have something finished very fast . I also wanted to find out what I could do with the new Intense Ink Stains .



I decided to mix the stains with gesso and see what happened. I used Emerald and Deep Plum and for the third colour I mixed them together to get a soft blue . It only needs a tiny amount of the stain to colour the gesso and I found that the colours dry slightly darker than the wet colour.
Next I wanted to stencil onto the base coat and I used white gesso . However I found that the stains came through the gesso. I found that if I painted over the base coat with matte medium it sealed the first layer and prevented this .


I decorated both sides of the bookmarks in the same way. Next I added some background stamping , as follows :-- 
Plum , Tulip Damask stamp , Watering Can ink .
Emerald, Textures stamp , script Wateringcan ink and crackle with Mushroom ink .
Blue , Textures stamp , script Wateringcan ink and Damask stamp Plum ink .
I used the stamps without a mount so that I could just add small areas of the patterns.


The final layer of stamping created the main decoration and was done with black ink as follows:--- 
Plum, Peonies, with a little added water colour painting to enhance the flowers .
Emerald, Vintage Flight .
Blue , now here I must apologise because I used a Creative Expressions stamp that I didn't realise is no longer available. Perhaps I could suggest some similar stamp sets from Creative Expressions namely Vintage Sewing, Vintage Games or Vintage



The pictures show both sides of the bookmarks.once everything was dry I added tassels made from embroidery threads in toning colours.
As I said these make lovely projects because they can be finished quickly and dare I suggest, might make nice little presents .

Creative Expressions items used : --- 
Cosmic Shimmer --White Gesso .
Cosmic Shimmer--- Intense Ink Stains, Deep Plum and Emerald.
Creative Expressions mini stencils -- Splash and Shabby Harlequin.
Creative Expressions Stamps -- Textures , Vintage Flight .
Just Rite Clear Stamps -- Peonies.
Creative Expressions-- Greyboard Bookmarks.

If you want to see what other members of the DT have been doing please look here 


1 comment:

  1. I really like these. They are a small enough project for me to dare trying this style, thanks.

    ReplyDelete