Tuesday 31 May 2016

Creative Expressions Tuesday


Floral Bag

Hello , I hope you have had a good bank holiday . I'm back today with a project made with a plain little bag that has been lurking in my craft stash for quite a long time waiting for me to make it pretty !



This bag is made of white fabric with a plastic lining . The same technique could be used on any fabric bag or item such as an apron . If you have an item that doesn't have a plastic lining then cover a piece of card with plastic to put inside the bag ( or behind the fabric ) to protect the other side of the bag . I sealed the fabric with a coat of clear gesso but realised afterwards that I could have used any matte medium such as Ranger Matte Medium or Cosmic Shimmer Clear Matt Finish Glaze .

I used watercolours to add colour to this project but any other paint or ink could be used . I mixed the paint with the matte medium to create a glaze which I applied to the bag in random patches . I then used a little water to blend the colour out and into the other colours that I used . On this project I used a combination of pinks and lilacs .


Next I added some stencilled swirls using a paint made by mixing the matte medium with mica 
powders that toned with the base colours ( in fact I could just have used more watercolours because 
the sparkle in the mica was lost under  the matte medium ) .




As the bag has two sides  and they are not the same I'll show pictures of both sides .

It would be possible to stamp on a flat piece of fabric but because this bag is not flat I decided it would be easier to stamp onto tissue paper and attach this to the bag . To do this , tear around the image on the tissue paper and paint a layer of matte medium onto the bag . Carefully place the image onto the bag and paint another layer of medium over the paper to adhere it to the bag and smooth out any creases .


I used Watering Can Ranger Archival Ink because I felt that black ink would be too harsh. The advantage to using images stamped onto tissue paper is that once the main images have been attached to the bag I could use smaller parts of the image to add extra flowers where I wanted them to fill spaces .

Once the matte medium was dry I painted the flowers using the same mixture of watercolour and matte medium as before . I used the same colours but much stronger than before so that the flowers stood out from the background.




To finish the bag and keep the decorative finish safe I recommend using two or three thin coats of varnish ( Matt or gloss depending on preference ) . This creates a very tough surface .
As I have said this technique can be applied to other fabric projects , so I hope you might be inspired to use your favourite stamped images to create something wonderful !

Creative Expressions items that I have used to make this project :--- 
Creative Expressions Stamps --- Sweet Peas .
Creative Expressions Mini Stencil ---- Splash .
Ranger Multi Medium Matte .

If you would like to find out what other members of the DT have been doing please look here 




No comments:

Post a Comment