Tuesday 10 May 2016

Creative Expressions Tuesday

Lovely Lilacs

Good Morning, l'm back here again with another design for a card using Creative Expressions products . Today the card has a rather vintage feel to it , probably due to the colours I have used .


I have used a Just Rite stamp set to create the lilac design and because this is the focal point of the card I have kept the other colours subtle. The design is stamped on heavy watercolour paper to increase the vintage effect . Although the colours of the lace and ribbon look different in the photo, in  fact they are very similar . I picked the lace from my stash simply because it toned with the ribbon I used for the bow .


I stamped the larger lilac spray with archival ink onto the watercolour paper and also onto copy paper . I then cut out the copy paper image to make a mask which I then placed over the main image so that I could stamp the smaller lilac spray to finish the design. I have included this picture for anyone who has not used masks before. The mask goes over the image so that the second stamp only shows where there is no mask . This means that the second image looks as though it is behind the first. Therefore always stamp the image that you want to be in front first .




Before colouring the lilacs I washed some ochre watercolour onto the paper to 'ground ' the lilacs . At the same time I washed some of the same colour over some old sheet music . I dotted some yellow paint into the centre of the flowers and then started painting the flowers with Irridescent Watercolour paint . I started with a pale silvery blue onto the petals that are at the ' front ' of the spray and then added a slightly darker blue. I also painted the leaves .


I then added some pink again nearer the front of the spray.


I added darker purples as shown so that the lilacs looked dimensional. I then washed some  irridescent yellow to the centres of the flowers . I have shown these step by step photos to give an idea of how I painted the lilacs.  Instead of cutting out the image I tore the paper and then tore a slightly larger piece of black card to put behind the main image . I stamped the quote in brown ink onto some of the watercolour paper and tore it out and mounted it in the same way . Using the music paper I covered the card blank .


To finish the card I curled the edges of the watercolour paper and attached it to the black card. I added the lace and then stuck the lilac design onto the card .  The quote was added using foam pads and the bow and flower were attached with glue .there are a few pearls which I coloured to tone in with the design using alcohol pens .
I feel that the vintage background provides a good contrast to the irridescent paints so that they really stand out .
Items used , Just Rite Clear Stamp set -- Lilac Blossoms.
Irridescent Shimmering Watercolour Paints  --  Chic and Frosted .
Silky Crush Ribbon-- Champagne.


If you want to see what other members of the DT have been doing please go to 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elizabeth

    Another gorgeous piece of art. thank you for sharing

    June x

    ReplyDelete